Google maps updated..

Discuss the game
Ninjahurrison

Google maps updated..

Postby Ninjahurrison » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:09 pm

So it seems google maps updated.. making my maps obsolete.. I mean i'm fine going through and fixing my maps "I only have two though" but I think it may be necessary to have maybe a team of people to go through and fix up maps when they become outdated? Instead of just removing the maps and telling whomever made them that they have to fix them before they are put back up, we may lose alot of good maps that way. A whole church was tore down and replaced with a bigger one and cars all hooplahded* all over the place and not to mention trees taken down in mine.

Smerg

Re: Google maps updated..

Postby Smerg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:16 am

Imo it should be the responsibility of the map maker to maintain their maps. I think they should implement some fashion of rating system that removes maps from public circulation upon a certain vote. (It wouldn't be permanent, the creator would just be emailed and they'd have to re-submit their map for approval.)
"If all else fails: duck. As a method of defense it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a second or two." - Unknown

Ninjahurrison

Postby Ninjahurrison » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:35 am

Well yes it should be their responsibility I agree, but we both know thats not gona help the fact that at least 50% of the people who make the maps aren't gona have the time or care to update them every time google maps updates, thats a lot of lost work that would only require a few car and tree touch ups, maybe a building or two. I say instead of removing it, the people who's maps need to be tweaked get the email saying it needs to be fixed within a certain time, if not, then the map is released to the public and whoever wants to fix it up can fix it and claim it as their own. Sounds like a better idea I think? Seems good on paper..

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:43 am

None of my maps have updated for literal years...one of them takes place at a prison that doesn't exist anymore.
Ninjahurrison wrote:I say instead of removing it, the people who's maps need to be tweaked get the email saying it needs to be fixed within a certain time, if not, then the map is released to the public and whoever wants to fix it up can fix it and claim it as their own. Sounds like a better idea I think? Seems good on paper..
No, because then people can edit maps and say "OH HEY THIS IS MINE I MADE THIS LOOK AT ALL THE WORK I PUT IN IT" and in reality all they did was edit it.
"You can only talk rubbish if you're aware of knowledge." ~Karl Pilkington
"**** it, it's late. Change it later." ~Me and Teddy

PullMull

Postby PullMull » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:38 am

only 2 maps?
thats funny i have made over 20( mostly in northgermany )
many of them is unplplyable right now because of the map updates.
thats why i dont make any new maps anymore.
the map i last made was broken even before i could launch here, cause of the googleupdates.
that was a real ass-kick moment for me. to realise that hours and hours of work are for nothing

just look at that. the ship i was focusing in this map IS GONE
and the quality of the picture has become poorer for some reason
http://www.class3outbreak.com/maps/4015 ... nd/games/1

Ninjahurrison

Postby Ninjahurrison » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Just saw your map, that sucks man, I bet all those cars took forever..

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:48 pm

So I just checked my map and either I don't understand the method google map's updates or someone got lazy.

My map is the exact same; all cars are in the same position and everything is normal.

It's just that my map has been shifted a couple pixels to the left. Everything is in the same spot in relation to the real map, just out of place by about 3 pixels in relation to what I drew over them. Is this how google maps updates? I'd always been under the impression they took new pictures entirely for an update.
"If all else fails: duck. As a method of defense it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a second or two." - Unknown

tyrud

Postby tyrud » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:45 am

Smerg wrote:So I just checked my map and either I don't understand the method google map's updates or someone got lazy.

My map is the exact same; all cars are in the same position and everything is normal.

It's just that my map has been shifted a couple pixels to the left. Everything is in the same spot in relation to the real map, just out of place by about 3 pixels in relation to what I drew over them. Is this how google maps updates? I'd always been under the impression they took new pictures entirely for an update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vFG4fXE4LE
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." ~ T. S. Eliot
(⌐■_■)

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:55 am

"Pvt Pile, your map looks like about a hundred and fifty pounds of chewed bubble gum!"

tyrud

Postby tyrud » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:04 am

Yes. Smerg, you are my favorite person right now.

"Pvt. Pile, if there is one thing in this world that I hate, it is an unfinished building, you know that don't you!"
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." ~ T. S. Eliot
(⌐■_■)

Return to “General”