Lingering Nightmare (IC)

For the discussion of anything related to zombies which has nothing to do with Binary Space's games
coinsruledude

Re: Lingering Nightmare (IC)

Postby coinsruledude » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:28 am

"Usually with a car," Shaun replied, a slight hint of sarcasm in his voice. "It won't be a problem for us, especially if you've all fought a lot of zombies before. The hordes keeps the Badlanders away because they're scared of zombies, not because it's hard to get through it."
"If they could form a gang like the one they have now, then zombies shouldn't be a problem." Jhonny said.
"It shouldn't, but it is. They've been scared of the undead since the beginnin'. It's why they choose to hide in the Outback, where it might be harder to survive, but zombies don't exist there either."
"You can only talk rubbish if you're aware of knowledge." ~Karl Pilkington
"**** it, it's late. Change it later." ~Me and Teddy

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:35 am

"So they're cowards." Malorie commented with a smirk, finding the idea of it humorous. "Good to know."
"They're even luckier they don't have to deal with the Last Judgement then." Teddy added. "They weaponized zombies, armored them up and packed them with explosives. A real nightmare to deal with even if you aren't scared of zombies."
"**** it, it's late."-Coins "Change it later."-Teddy
"She had a face like a bulldog licking **** off a nettle."-Jingles
"so he resigned himself to dying in a trash can."

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:19 am

"Weaponized zombies?" Shaun asked, surprised. "Huh, never thought of that before. Pretty creative."

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:26 am

"That's one way of putting it." Ivy said.
"Quintin, Jhonny and I encountered them in Texas. They had helmets on that shrugged off rifle fire and covered everything but their mouths." Teddy recounted. "They were used like guard dogs when we encountered them, I could only imagine if they were deployed en masse against an enemy then I think even the most experienced zombie killers would be forced to turn and run. I'm definitely happy they aren't a problem we need to worry about anymore."

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:37 am

The group stopped close to the airstrip to eat a quick lunch before continuing onward. The tedious foot travel was agonizingly slow and exhausting to the point of inducing one of Jhonny’s asthma attacks, which were being more and more frequent. The group stopped and made camp a few feet off the main highway so nobody passing by could see them. They had a fire for a short period of time, but they extinguished it once the group started to go to sleep.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/-22.964 ... m2!4m1!3e2

[Tuesday, November 3rd, 2026 – 1:03 AM]

Shaun groggily woke up. He had fallen asleep flat on his back with his hat covering his face and his machete on the ground next to him. He was about to roll over and attempt to get comfortable again in the sand and dirt when he heard noise coming from just outside the camp. Gripping his machete tightly, he approached the origin of the sound. As he got closer, he noticed a figure sitting underneath a scraggly tree, crying; in the ambient light from the moon and stars, Shaun eventually recognized the figure as Church. She was sitting with her knees up against her chest and her forehead pressed on her knees. As Shaun walked towards her, she noticed his presence and almost immediately stopped crying.

“What’s the matter?” he asked.
“I-It’s nothing.” Church replied.
“Look, if it was nothin’, I wouldn’t be over here and you wouldn’t be cryin’.” Church sighed, wiping her eyes one more time; she was uncomfortable talking to anybody about her feelings, especially someone the group barely knew, but she didn’t feel like she had a choice with Shaun standing right next to her.

“I lost my daughter a few months ago. Usually I don’t break down like this, but…”
“How old was she?” Shaun asked, sitting in the dirt next to her.
“Nine. Almost ten. W-We were in Taiwan looking for a safe place to go, and she got stuck alone in a bathroom with zombies.”
“What was her name?”
“Cora.”
“That’s a real pretty name.”
“Thank you. Me and my husband named her after…after the daughter of a friend, but then that friend…” Church said, stopping mid-sentence to wipe her eyes again. She was finding it hard to relive her memories without losing control of herself. “The world’s a shitty place, Shaun, and I didn’t get her ready for it.”
“I bet you did all you could do-“
“No, I didn’t,” Church argued, her voice cracking. “I had her whole life to teach her how to live in the world, but I kept putting it off because I thought we were finally safe for good. W-We had a cargo ship, and a whole crew, and we were fine for over a decade. Then we crashed, and people died one after the other, and even then I just sat there and told her it would be okay, but I didn’t do anything to help her live longer. Everyone else picked up the slack so she didn't die right away.”
“How many people have you killed?” Shaun asked. Church was stumped for a few seconds, not expecting the question.
“I-I don’t know.”
“Probably a lot, right?”
“Yeah…probably a lot.” Church replied. Shaun was silent for a few seconds.
“I agree with you, Church. The world’s a shitty place, and I know you get that. The reason you’re out here cryin’ is because you haven’t accepted how bad things are. Family or not, people come and go nowadays. Don’t look at it like it’s your fault your daughter didn’t live a full life. You’re the reason she had a life at all. You tried, but somethin’ along the way got screwed up, and she died. Accept it for what it is.”
“I don’t think you’re the person to talk to if someone needs to be cheered up.”
“I’m tellin’ it like it is. Don’t look at anythin’ in hindsight. If your entire group dropped dead right now, I'd probably take your food and go on my merry way. Don’t take that the wrong way; I’m just sayin’ you need to be prepared to lose people at any second, otherwise you’ll be out here cryin’ every other week.”
“Do you think I don’t know that?” Church asked, somewhat angrily. “I’ve lived this long, and I’ve lost friends and family over and over again, but it doesn’t get easier. I’m not going to act like Cora’s death was no big deal.”

“I’m not sayin’ that, but don’t act like it was the end of the world either,” Shaun said, standing up. “That already happened.”

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:29 am

[Wednesday, November 4th, 2026 - 12:28 PM]
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/-23.122 ... m2!4m1!3e2

"We ain't far at all from Newman now." Shaun said to the group, noticing rusting construction equipment on an abandoned site just off of the highway. "Definitely in our best interest that we don't keep on the highway, they're bound to have ambush points setup leadin' into the town."
"So what do you suggest?" Mary asked.
"If my notes ain't off, there should be a quarry just south of here. Badlanders ain't got much reason to be messin' around down there since it ain't where most people will be travellin'. We head down that way and swing 'round towards Newman, you see those hills there?" Shaun asked, pointing to the horizon where the tips of several hills were just barely visible over the brush. "Those probly got a nice view of the town, I reckon you'd be able to put that rifle you've been luggin' around to good use up on top one of them."

"Sounds good to me." Teddy said. "We can post up there and watch them for a little while, get a better idea of exactly how many of them we're dealing with, how their patrols are working and go from there."

The group spent the next couple of hours heading off of the highway and south towards the quarry and hills, remaining extra vigilant and cautious the entire time in hopes of not being spotted prematurely. Luckily for them Shaun was right and the hills outside of Newman appeared relatively unguarded, the Badlanders not anticipating outsiders to be travelling off road. The group worked their way past the quarry and through its abandoned processing plant, taking a crumbling road that led to one of the hills overlooking Newman. Atop the hill sat a collapsed radio tower, its twisted steel providing some cover for the group as they looked down into the town which was rife with Badlanders going about their day.

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:38 am

The group began observing the city to see what they were up against. Shaun took Jhonny's binoculars and scanned the area, noting where and when the Badlanders were entering and leaving with their trucks and other vehicles.
"That's a lot of activity," he commented. "More than I've seen in a long time."
"Maybe they're mobilizing for something." Quintin said.
"Or they're makin' this a permanent home, which would be strange. Either way, we can't run and gun like you've been doin' to 'em. We'd be ripped apart."

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:43 am

"No ****." Teddy commented, looking through the scope of the L96 as he rested the rifle on a piece of the radio tower. "Haven't dealt with numbers like these since that refinery in Texas, and back then we had a lot more support."
"So what do we do, sneak in and try escaping in a truck without them noticing?" Malorie asked. "That sounds just as risky."

"We could make a distraction." Oshiro offered. "Try to lure a team of them, hopefully in a vehicle, out away from the town then ambush them and get out of the area quickly."

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:28 am

"Sounds like it might work," Shaun said. "Normally I'd sneak in, but with this many people it isn't an option."

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:34 am

"But then what about extra fuel?" Ivy asked. "I doubt they will drive out with enough fuel in the vehicle to even make stealing it worth the effort, not to mention we're dangerously low on supplies."
"What if we took some of them hostage?" Malorie suggested. "If we capture a handful of them, I'd bet they would be more willing to part with a vehicle and some supplies than some people they care about. They can't be doing badly with a base like this, so the supplies we need won't impact their survival in a big way, meaning they should be willing to give us what we want if we have their people."
"I actually like that idea." Mary commented. "The less people that have to die the better, even if they're hostile like these people."

"I like the idea as well." Teddy said, getting a smile from Malorie. "We're going to need to get the jump on some of their people while they're isolated, lets keep a close eye on their patrols, if we're lucky one will stray far enough from the town for us to make our move."

[Wednesday, November 4th, 2026 - 4:43 PM]

The group sat atop the hill for several hours, constantly surveying the town and its inhabitants, waiting like predatory animals for anyone to stray too far from the pack. Their opportunity came to them quite literally, a burly looking man approached the hill along with a teenage girl around sixteen years old, presumably his daughter. The man had a hunting rifle of some kind in one hand and the girl had a pistol at her side and a pair of binoculars hanging from her neck. Both were happily chatting with each other as they approached the hill, presumably they were about to begin a watch where the group was perched.

"Everyone back behind that rusting equipment, get out of sight and get ready!" Teddy ordered after spotting the duo through his rifle scope. The group quickly did just that, ducking behind satellite dishes and power generators for the old radio towers. Several dozen tense minutes passed by as the group lay in wait, until finally the voices of their would be victims became audible.

"I'm still not sure about you being with that Victor punk."
"Listen I know he's hot headed and all, but he treats me right dad. Better than Trevor ever did, and it ain't like I got many other options regardless. We got a lot of people, but not a lot of people my age."

The two of them crested the hill as they continued their conversation, climbing over some of the mangled radio tower to continue their patrol.

"Well I'll give him the benefit of the doubt f'now, but if he does anything like that git Trevor I'll-" The father stopped mid sentence and looked down at the dirt. "What're all these footprints doin-"

He didn't get another word out, the two had been unaware enough in their conversation that they passed by the cement block Teddy and Ivy were ducked behind. Teddy delivered a pistol whip to the back of his head with the .44 knocking him out instantly. The girl looked at him horrified for a brief moment before spinning around with her hand on her holster, however once she saw the barrel of Teddy's gun pointed in her face along with Ivy training her AUG on the girl, she put her hands up.

"Not a peep." Teddy warned, reaching forward and taking her sidearm from her holster and tossing it aside as the rest of the group emerged from their hiding spots. The girl was trembling, obviously thinking this would be the end for her and her father.

"P-P-Please.." She began pleading, lowering to a kneeling position as she looked up at Teddy and the rest of the group. "Don't k-kill us.."
"We don't intend to, so long as you and your people play along." Teddy told her as Harmony got to tying her fathers hands behind his back and taking gear from him. "But don't think we won't hesitate if you or they try anything."

"Well.. What do you people want then?" She asked nervously.
"A couple of trucks, fuel and water. Enough to get us to Sydney." Teddy answered.
"You'd have to get through the Great Artesian Horde to get there, that's crazy!"
"How about you let us worry about that." Teddy warned. "You worry about making sure you and your dad stay alive, by getting us what we want."

"Got a walkie here." Harmony said, picking it off of the mans knocked out body.
"Good, that'll make things easier." Teddy said.
"Look, we can get you people what you need, alright?" The girl said. "I promise, as long as you don't-" She stopped speaking as her father began to stir, looking over to him.
"Uhh, what in the hell.." He said with a moan, confused as to what was going on at first, his face still laying in the dirt where he'd fallen. Jhonny grabbed the mans bindings on his wrists and brought him up to a kneeling position.

"What the ****, the hell is going on Holly?!" He began to say angrily and somewhat loudly, looking over to his daughter.
"Shut it." Teddy ordered.
"**** you!" The man yelled out, spitting at Teddy. Teddy gritted his teeth, just barely restraining himself from going after the man. Instead he leveled his revolver on the Badlanders daughter.
"You shut the **** up! You yell or spit at me one more time and she's going to be the one who pays for it, understand?!"
"Dad, please.." His daughter pleaded. The man looked at her then back to Teddy, fury still plainly visible in his beard covered face.

"We need vehicles and supplies, you and your daughter are going to help us get those things. Then you can go back to business as usual in your town and we'll never have to see each other again." Quintin said to the man.
"We just kill most Badlanders we run into, so you should be happy we're doing things like this." Malorie added.

"Bruce, how're things going so far?" A voice asked from the walkie talkie a moment later.
"Not so great." Teddy responded into the walkie talkie once Harmony handed it to him.
"What the ****? Who is this?!"
"One of the people who have Bruce and his daughter." Teddy responded.
"Bullshit!" The man on the other end replied.
"It's not bullshit Hank!" The girl said into the walkie talkie as Teddy prompted her by holding it to her.

"Now if you want these two to live through the next hour, you're going to listen to me and you're going to do as I say to the letter. Got that?"
"What do you want?" Hank growled.
"Two trucks, running properly, along with enough fuel, water and food to get a group of ten to Sydney comfortably."
"That's a tall **** order there champ."
"You can get those supplies back over time, if I end these two you won't be getting them back. We want the trucks and supplies driven up here by two unarmed people. When we get what we want, we'll leave the man with the truck drivers. We'll be keeping the girl as an insurance policy, to make sure we get safe passage past your town. We'll drop her off once we're out of harms reach and she can walk back on her own."
"Bullshit, when you get what you want you are dropping both off on the hill!"

"You aren't in the position for demands." Teddy said simply. "You have an hour to get what we want up to the fallen radio tower."
Once he finished speaking Teddy dropped the walkie talkie onto the ground and stomped it, making a point that there were to be no further negotiations.
Last edited by TheTeddyguy on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “All things Zombie”