Lingering Nightmare (IC)

For the discussion of anything related to zombies which has nothing to do with Binary Space's games
coinsruledude

Lingering Nightmare (IC)

Postby coinsruledude » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:46 am

[Thursday, April 2nd, 2026 – 11:29 AM]

The rec room was empty, devoid of even the regulars that usually sat at the various wooden tables scattered throughout the room. Jhonny scratched his chin stubble and watched as the young girl sitting on the bar stool in front of him contemplated which bottle of liquor she wanted him to get from the racks for her. He had no intention of giving the girl alcohol, but she liked to look at the colorful labels on the sides of the bottles, and ever since she learned to read she loved to read anything she could.

Jhonny looked around the rec room as he waited for the girl to make a decision. His eyes fell upon a small framed picture hanging on the wall next to the racks of alcohol. It was a picture of Max and Church, taken the day they got married; he was wearing an old black tuxedo, and she was wearing a simple white dress. His heart reverberated with pain, as it did whenever he was reminded of Max, and in his mind he recalled the bet, the drinking game, and the alcohol poisoning that led to the bartender’s death.

The girl kicked her lanky legs in the air for a short period of time, getting Jhonny’s attention again. She finally pointed at a two-thirds full bottle.
“This one?” Jhonny asked, grabbing the neck of the bottle.
“Yeah.” the girl replied. A shot glass filled with apple juice and a small, purple backpack were sitting on the bar in front to her. Jhonny sat the bottle down in front of the girl, and she immediately gripped the edge of the bar and leaned in slightly, staring intently at the white Serif text on the black label. Jhonny crouched down to her level and looked at the bottle from the other side of the bar.

“Let me read it,” the girl said defiantly, sensing Jhonny was about to say something. “Jack Daniel’s, old time, old no…old no seven brand?”
“’No’ with a dot means number.”
“Number seven brand.” The girl paused for a moment, wrinkling her brow at the next word on the label.
“Tennessee.”
“Ten-ess-ee,” the girl repeated. “What’s Ten-ess-ee?”
“It’s one of the fifty states,” Jhonny said, leaning on the bar. “You know what the United States are, right, Cora?

“I know California.”
“Well, that’s one of them...was one of them.”
“What are all the others?”
Jhonny noticed the rec room double doors open, and a person walked in. “You’ll have to ask me later. I think someone else wants to talk to you.”

Cora turned around and smiled. “Hi, mommy!”
“Hi, sweetie,” Church said, picking her daughter up and kissing her on the cheek. Church’s hair was tied up in a long ponytail behind her head, and she was wearing a black headband, having discarded the one with profanity stitched on it after her daughter learned how to read. A gold wedding band adorned one of her fingers. “Did you have fun with Jhonny?”
“Yeah, he taught me what Ten-ess-ee is!”
“Well, what is it?”
“It’s a state like California.”
“Yeah, it is,” Church said, setting Cora back on the stool. “Did Jhonny give you anything to drink?”
“Juice.”
“Okay, good,” Church said, looking at Jhonny and smiling. He did the same. “If I asked a few years ago, though-”
“A few years ago you probably wouldn’t have let me watch your daughter.”
“Probably not,” Church said. “Thanks for watching her.”

“No problem.” Jhonny said, walking out from behind the bar after replacing the bottle of Jack Daniel’s. He went over to the pool table, which, like many things aboard the Atlas, was used and worn out. The green felt had been rubbed down almost to nothing in some spots, and the wood finish was scuffed and chipped, but bringing a pool table aboard the Atlas was not a priority for the fleet.

“Does Tennessee even count as a state anymore?” Church asked, crossing her arms and sauntering over to the pool table. Cora obediently remained at the bar; she procured a paperback copy of ‘The City of Ember’ from her backpack and opened it to a page somewhere near the beginning.

“Since the US doesn't exist anymore, not really,” Jhonny sighed. “It’s just the name for a place now.”
“I suppose so. Speaking of the US, though, we might need to dock somewhere on the East Coast.”
“What about the Last Judgment?”
“Hopefully they’ll leave us alone,” Church said, looking over her shoulder at Cora. She lowered her voice a little before continuing to talk. “I don’t want to get within a hundred miles of the Carolinas. I know I’m teaching her how to shoot, but-“
“It’s only a matter of time until she sees something happen, Church.”
“I know, but I don’t want to think about it.”
Last edited by coinsruledude on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can only talk rubbish if you're aware of knowledge." ~Karl Pilkington
"**** it, it's late. Change it later." ~Me and Teddy

TheTeddyguy

Re: Lingering Nightmare (IC)

Postby TheTeddyguy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:01 am

[Thursday, April 2nd, 2026 - 10:28 AM]

Ivy stood at the end of the bow with her arms leaning on the rusted metal railings, the gaps in the safety railings had all been covered by sheet metal after a child nearly fell overboard through one of them. The woman was beautiful as ever, her hair clean straight golden blonde hair came down just past her shoulders and it blew in the gentle spring breeze blowing it ever so slightly. Her gorgeous blue eyes were somewhat red on the outside due to a great deal of crying she had done over the course of the past hour or so, it was rare that she cried anymore but this was a situation that she couldn't avoid it.

She stood in silence until she heard her husband from behind "Ivy, I've been looking all over the place for you hun you said you were going to head back to our cabin after the checkup with Nicole." His voice showed a great deal of concern, as it often did whenever he felt anything was awry with any of his family or close friends. Making sure those he cared about were always as happy as possible was one of Teddy's chief personal goals, only superseded by his duty to the crew of the Atlas although calling them just the 'crew' was a disservice and not a very accurate description.

Nearly everyone was family, you can't go ten years on a ship in a world like this without growing close to those around you. Ivy turned around to face her husband, he was grizzled and hardened in appearance, it would be hard not to be after some of the hellish things he had lived through in the years after the 'end of the world'. His face was still clean shaved purely because Ivy liked it that way, a few old scars were visible on his face in the right light, especially where he had been grazed by a bullet on his cheek, but most were relatively difficult to see unless you were looking hard.

His hair was kept short as he had always kept it even prior to the apocalypse, it had darkened over the years to be nearly black with a hint of brown just like his fathers did. In stature he was similar to his father as well, standing at 6'2 and having a relatively large amount of muscle while not being a full on body builder.

Looking at his wife he didn't need any words to be spoken to tell she was upset, devastated even. After a moment of silence she looked him in the eyes and said "I lost the baby, I miscarried." Teddy looked out towards the ocean for a moment as Ivy's words sunk in, it was a difficult thing for anyone to take in. After years at sea with relatively no major incidents the couple had chosen to try for another child, they both loved Malorie and Mary so much and the idea of a third child came to them months ago when they finally got over their paranoia and began thinking they might actually be in a position to bring another child into the world.

After the words sunk in Teddy quickly crossed the distance between himself and Ivy, embracing her tightly as a few tears of his own escaped his eyes. While the side of her face was resting on her husbands chest Ivy whimpered "I'm sorry.." Teddy pulled away and looked at her as he said "What for? You didn't chose to lose the baby, that was all up to fate."

Ivy tried speaking but found herself choked up before she took a deep breath then said "I'm sorry for telling you so close to your birthday, I wanted to wait to tell you until after that's why I was out here. I wanted to get myself together so you wouldn't be able to tell how upset I was, guess I failed at that huh?" Teddy reached out and embraced his wife once more as he said "I would have found out either way, my birthdays just another day and the news would have been just as horrible if you said it the day of or the day after."

He then gave Ivy a long kiss, as he pulled away he said "The fact that you were trying to keep it from me until after my birthday however is incredibly sweet of you, it means a lot actually." Ivy looked at him and managed a small smile before she said "I guess we should go tell the girls then also, Mary was especially ecstatic about the news when we told them she's going to be almost as upset as we are." Teddy nodded his head quietly said "Yeah." as he thought for a moment before looking to Ivy and saying "You go let Malorie know, I'll let Mary know. Malorie will probably be upset, but not nearly as much as her sister."

Ivy agreed and with a kiss the couple split off to find their daughters.

Teddy made his way to the cabin that had become Malorie and Mary's after they turned 11 with some coaxing their parents into going with it, eventually Ivy and Teddy decided that they were getting a little old to be living in the same room as their parents and that the ship was more or less a big house and this was like them getting their own room. As Teddy approached the door he could hear Phil Collins I din't care anymore blaring from inside the room, he grinned slightly and said "Something tells me Mary's home." to himself before opening the door.

Once Teddy opened the door he saw Mary sure enough stretched out on her bunk, legs crossed and a smile on her face as she read through her copy of Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies, a book that had been recovered from Jonathan and Claire's personal collection once their room was cleared out weeks after their deaths. The music was so loud and she was so immersed in the book that Mary only realized her father was in the room by Zero lifting his head which had been resting in her lap.

The girl was growing well, she was already standing at 5'0, although her twin was even taller. They both also had their mothers natural beauty, metabolism and straight golden blonde hair, although Mary was the only one who wore it at Ivy's length which was the only obvious visual difference between the two.

Setting the book down Mary quickly reached over her shoulder and turned off the stereo before sitting up and sarcastically saying "Could you knock first?" with a smile on her face. Teddy pointed to the stereo and said "Sure, if you keep your music low enough that you can hear the knocks." Mary shrugged her shoulders and said "What can I say? I love my Phil Collins." Teddy chuckled as he took a seat in the small folding chair set up next to the girls bunks and said "Yes I know you love your Phil Collins, as does everyone who happens to walk down the hallways."

Mary shrugged her shoulders and maintained her smile as she thought about what else to talk about, after a moment she turned to grab her book and as she held it she said "I'm about halfway through this and it's pretty interesting, according to this book it looks like the reasons for certain people or societies being more prosperous or successful than others is based almost completely on geography of where they started out. What do you think of that?"

Teddy couldn't help but smile wide as Mary talked, he couldn't do anything but be proud of the girl. Constantly she aspired to take in knowledge of both things like science, math and literature alongside knowledge of what to her and most of the children on the Atlas was the old world. History was a personal favorite of hers, the girl constantly relished in stories of how things used to be whether they be stories told from memory by older crew members or stories told by books of civilizations and people long since gone. Mary was a genius in every sense of the word and even better she was as sweet and kind as anyone on the fleet, as selfless as you could find a person in the post apocalyptic world.

"Well geography has a big part to play in it, if a civilization starts in a place like Africa survival will be a much more difficult goal for them meaning they can't grow and advance as quickly as a civilization in a more hospital area of the world like Europe. But like with everything in this world, there are always exceptions to the rule." Mary looked away as she took in the information before looking back up at her father and saying "You didn't come in here to just talk about history did you daddy?" Teddy's smile went away quickly as he shook his head and said quietly "No, I didn't."

Already tensed up slightly as she was extremely good at reading a person and she was aware bad news was on the way by how her father reacted to her last comment. Teddy held his hands clasped together for a few moments as he thought of how to deliver the news, finally he looked up at his daughter and said "Your mother got done with a checkup with Dr. Nicole earlier, she lost the baby from a miscarriage."

Mary was shocked and saddened by the news, the moment the words registered in her head the tears started flowing. Teddy said quietly "I'm sorry sugar" Mary wiped her tears away with her arm and looked back up at her father to say "Why are you apologizing to me daddy? You didn't plan for this or want it, neither did mommy." She took a deep breath then said "I'm sorry to you also, you two were so excited and happy when you gave me and Mal the news I know how hard it has to be for you two, mommy especially. A whole lot harder than it is for me."

Teddy nodded his head as he thought about what to say next, Mary then said "Well, there's always tomorrow to try again and the day after that and the day after." She forced a smile onto her own face as she said "You two will get me and Mal that little brother or little sister someday, I'm sorry that this wasn't the one but it'll happen eventually daddy." Mary's words put a smile onto Teddy's face once again and after a moment he held out his arms and said "Come here you." With Mary quickly obliging and hugging her father tightly.

-

Ivy wandered below deck in search of Malorie, it didn't take her much time to find the girl once she got into the right hallway as she could hear her daughter yelling and having it out with Troy. "You flip like a switch at the tiniest things Mal, I try to-" Malorie cut him off there saying "Cut it with the stupid pet name, it drives me up the **** wall when my sister calls me that I don't need it from you too!" Ivy rounded the corner and heard this bit of the conversation, snapping "Malorie what did I tell you about that swearing!" Malorie spun around to see her mother standing there, Malorie's face was beat red from her arguing with Troy.

"Well he's the one who started this m-" Ivy was hearing none of it as she snapped again "I don't care if he walked up and started being mean for the sake of being mean, I'm sick of hearing you use that language period I don't care how angry or upset you are!" Malorie was prepared to argue back but before a word could leave her mouth Ivy said "Shush, I'm not going to sit here and argue with you right now my morning has been hell enough as it is and you aren't going to add to it right now Malorie." Ivy turned her attention to Troy and said "This is something personal Troy, I'd appreciate if you left. You can argue with my daughter all you want later."

"But.." Troy tried arguing before Ivy snapped through gritted teeth in unison with her daughter "Go!" getting Troy to quickly leave the area. Once he was out of earshot Ivy leaned her back against the wall and said "I'm sorry for snapping at you, but this morning has been horrible and you know I despise hearing you talk like that." Malorie sighed and said "It's fine mom, I'm sorry for cussing. What did you need to tell me, why's your morning been bad?"

Ivy took a deep breath before saying "I found out I miscarried this morning." Malorie arched her eyebrows in a quizzical way as she asked "What's miscarried mean, you dropped something?" If it wasn't for the seriousness of the topic Ivy probably would have gotten a chuckle out of her daughters response, sadly the topic was gravely serious. "No, hunny. The baby I was pregnant with didn't make it, he or she died inside of me for one reason or another." Malorie looked at her mother wide eyed and with a hint of sadness and compassion for her mother who was already starting to cry at delivering the news.

"Oh.. I'm sorry mom." She said before reaching forward and hugging Ivy. Ivy was shocked by the hug, it was very rare for Malorie to show this much compassion to anything especially one of her parents. She almost always kept a rock hard exterior that didn't allow much emotion or compassion to slip through. "I know what the baby meant to you and dad, I'm sorry for being an ass-" Malorie stopped herself mid sentence as she realized she cussed once again, she looked up at her mother expecting to be snapped at, instead her mother was smiling with a few tears streaming down her face before she said "It's fine sweety I'm not mad, we all make mistakes. Thank you for showing that you care about this and how it hurt me."
"**** it, it's late."-Coins "Change it later."-Teddy
"She had a face like a bulldog licking **** off a nettle."-Jingles
"so he resigned himself to dying in a trash can."

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:28 pm

[Thursday, April 2nd, 2026 – 10:10 AM]

Church entered the command room of the Atlas after dropping Cora off in the rec room so Jhonny could watch her. The only time she wasn’t with her daughter was when she was participating in some kind of mission, or if there was some kind of meeting.

Teddy and Oshiro were already in the room, sitting at the large wooden table. Neither of them was able to hide the marks time left over the previous decade. Oshiro’s face was full of wrinkles and he emanated an aura of pure power, knowledge, and skill. Teddy had grown into the young, capable leader that the aging fleet looked up to. Church herself was the only one of the three who didn’t look like a natural leader; rather, she acted as the middle ground between the main leaders and the average crew member. She sat down at her place at the table.
“So what’s the topic this time?” Church asked.
“Well, the closer we get to the East Coast the more we’ve been considering docking up for a day or two and looting the coast for equipment,” Teddy explained. “Mostly stuff like scrap metal, power tools, and anything else we could use to trade. We also need some more medical supplies, but I doubt we'll find any on this trip.”
You don’t mean anywhere near the Last Judgment, right?” Church asked. “Connecticut and Rhode Island might be good places with manageable zombies, but anything south of New Jersey is probably too dangerous.”

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:56 am

Oshiro assured Church "We'll have over 100 miles between us and New Jersey, over 400 between us and the Carolina's. We should be safe from Last Judgement, however we have no knowledge of the number of zombies or the level of hostile groups in the area." Church replied "Well that sounds fine, but where are we planning on heading?" Teddy then spoke up and said "New haven, at least get close and do a flyby of the place in the Harpy check on what the place looks like. If we're lucky then the dead have moved on out and we can get to looting pretty easily, or trading with the locals."

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:49 pm

"Sounds like a simple enough plan, as long as we don't run into any unexpected **** along the way," Church said. "Since we're still a few days out we can relax until then."

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:07 am

Teddy nodded and forced a smile as he said "Yeah, could use some R&R. Today has not been grand that's for sure."

"What happened?" Asked Oshiro, hiding truth from the man was a near impossible thing to do as he had a knack for reading when someone was lying. Teddy let out a deep breath before saying "Ivy miscarried, she found out and told me not long before this meeting."

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:13 am

Church opened her mouth to speak, but at first she didn't say anything. She couldn't imagine how awful it must have been to be in Teddy and Ivy's position.
"Oh...oh God, Teddy, I'm so sorry."

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:03 pm

"My condolences as well, my sister suffered a great many miscarriages as she attempted to become a mother so I've seen first hand what that can do to a couple." Said Oshiro. Teddy managed a slight grin and he said "Thank you both, we'll get our third eventually we just gotta keep trying at it." There was a brief pause before Oshiro said to Teddy "That's the right attitude to have."

Suddenly a gunshot cracked outside, everyone jumped at first but Teddy quickly realized and said "Just Malorie and Michelle target shooting, I was meaning to join them today. We have anything else to discuss?"

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:12 pm

"No, unless there's anything else either of you needs to talk about," Church said. She stood up and pushed in her chair. "I'll be in the rec room for a while, if anyone needs me."

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:17 pm

"Try and hit that empty can of baked beans, just to the right of the far top left target." Said Michelle to Malorie as she stood on the deck aiming down the sights of her Walther P-38. While Mary spent a massive amount of time constantly taking in book knowledge on history, math and the like Malorie was nearly always trying to learn something new about survival. Regularly she practiced basic survival skills with her father, melee self defense with Oshiro and most often target shooting with Michelle.

Michelle had taken a very active role in the twins lives sometime after the death of David, as a result of Mary's inherit dislike of combat or violence Michelle found herself with Malorie more often than not. Not only acting as a trainer but also as a bit of a good influence and a friend to the young girl, something that garnered much appreciation from Teddy and Ivy. As a result Michelle wound up being one of the few people on the fleet that Malorie would consistently show respect.

Malorie fired her shot, the round impacting almost dead center on the can sending it over the railing and into the ocean below. "There you go! See when you aren't letting yourself get pissed off for missing one target you do just fine." Malorie lowered the Walther and took the empty magazine out of it, looking over to Michelle she said "Easier said than done, you're always smiling and happy, that why you shoot so good?"

Michelle giggled before saying "No my bright and cheery personality ain't the reason I can put a bullet in a can 50 feet away with a half second of aiming." Malorie walked over to a small table holding spare ammunition for target shooting and started placing more rounds into the Walther' magazine as she replied "So what is it, that muscle memory stuff you talk about?"

Michelle stepped forward as she said "Yeah, you just need to shoot and practice long enough that you know without even adjusting your aim where the bullet is going to end up." As soon as she finished speaking Michelle reached to her side and retrieved the Peacemaker, in a matter of seconds she fired off all six rounds and holstered the revolver. Several cans impacted on the deck or fell off the edge of the ship and a metal target was rung twice.

Malorie had an impressed look on her face as she usually did whenever she watched Michelle shoot, after a moment she said "And how much practicing did it take to get that good?" Michelle stepped back and leaned against the railing as she replied "Hour and a half everyday after school, two to three hours each day of the weekend, rinse wash and repeat." Malorie raised her pistol once more and let loose several rounds on the metal target before turning back to Michelle and saying "Now if only my dad would let me use that much ammo."

Michelle looked towards the bridge as she said "Yeah that's definitely a disadvantage you have when it comes to training yourself, your daddy can't stop by the store and pick up another box of ammunition and every bullet we have is important to us staying alive. Just gotta make do with what you've got. Speaking of your daddy." Malorie turned around to see Teddy approaching with a bag slung over his shoulder and Brads revolver in his hand. "Hope I'm not late." He said as he sat the bag full of ammunition and guns down next to the table.

"Fashionably late-" Michelle said before glancing over at Malorie and smiling then back to Teddy as she said "I don't think we'll hold it against you, this time."

Return to “All things Zombie”