7 Days to Die

For the discussion of anything related to zombies which has nothing to do with Binary Space's games
coinsruledude

Re: 7 Days to Die

Postby coinsruledude » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Your base is what I aspire my cemetery to be, except on a larger scale. Maybe in the future I'll use the stone mausoleums as the foundation for a whole second level of housing above ground level.
Smerg wrote:The secondary goal of this long-term looting trip's a tad cheaty, and that is that I'm hoping to weather the Day 42 horde, which most forums seem to think is the most dangerous, away from my primary base.
I'm getting worried that my cemetery's fence won't hold out against the Day 7 horde, let alone anything larger, lol. Every night it seems like a zombie is determined to sit outside for half the night just beating on ****, and in the morning I have to repair six or seven blocks of the concrete foundation. Then one day a random midday horde roamed through and broke in my door before I even knew where the sound was coming from, but they just forgot about me a minute later, went around the fence, and disappeared over the horizon.

I'm digging a trench too, but mine is filled with the big log spikes, which I like because they can be upgraded to give them an extra life. My ultimate goal is to surround my base like that for a secondary defense while layers of the more disposable spikes act as the initial deterrent. Beyond that, I have no idea how to defend myself. I still haven't found a city, so I still don't have a reliable source of canned food, scrap metal, or guns.

The only thing I have going for me right now is my huge track of flat, fenced-in, arable land, but I'm extremely low on seeds. My guess is that the next two or three harvests will need to be put right back into the ground as seeds for me to make a garden I can live on, but I don't have enough food stocked for waiting that long. Hunting can only work for so long because a whole deer can feed me for all of one damn day. I NEED TO FIND MORE THAN BURNED DOWN SHACKS
"You can only talk rubbish if you're aware of knowledge." ~Karl Pilkington
"**** it, it's late. Change it later." ~Me and Teddy

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:12 am

I'm having a similar difficulty with acquiring building resources and ammunition too, hence the need for my long-term looting run. The main reason for that being that I chose to set up my secondary base in a desert, not by choice but because it was the farthest house from my original base that I knew of and I was hoping to flee from the massive levels of map heat I had created and which had led to the downfall of my original sanctuary.

A full days walk to its north is the only city that I know of, a massive one with everything I'd ever need. It's just so far away, though, that any looting trips I plan have to be long-term.

The iron bars of the cemetery structures are really useful for attacking zombies with no threat to yourself from what me and my buddies have found in our coop adventures. You can shoot arrows and bolts through the bars and such.

I've never messed with the farming of that game, though. I've always hunted and looted.
"If all else fails: duck. As a method of defense it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a second or two." - Unknown

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:21 am

I like farming. You probably won't gain much from it because of your highly mobile survival strategy, but for me, locked down and trying to stay under the radar, it's great. Meat attracts zombies while corn and potatoes don't, so hunting is situational for me since my base is my only home. You can afford to hunt because it sounds like you're always moving on your looting missions, so the heat map is more spread out. Also, having a supply of food constantly renewing itself is great because it gives me more time to worry about other aspects of survival when that time would normally be used to hunt or scavenge for food.

AGRICULTURE IS WHAT LED TO HUMAN CIVILIZATION, YOU DIRTY NOMAD
YOU'RE JUST A HUNTER-GATHERER SCRUB

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:38 am

Hey, I'm not complete hunter-nomad, it's just a product of my environment that I have to move around on long looting runs. But for every week I spend doing a loot rant and transporting resource stashes back to my main base, I'm able to stay back at my main base for two or three weeks.

I might possibly pick and start maintaining a third base if I find a suitable structure close to the city and a source of water. It would be ideal because I'd be able to spend short day trips looting in the city but never be so far from my main base that I feel like some travelling bum.
"If all else fails: duck. As a method of defense it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a second or two." - Unknown

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Multiple bases would be a good idea, but I still need to get my first one up and running first. I did a bit more exploring and I found a cabin just over a hill to the north, but there wasn't anything inside except some random bullshit. I killed a rabbit and two deer while I was out, so my food situation is looking a lot better.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 856060B55/
This is a picture of my current defenses, which are unfinished and haven't been tested by a horde yet. A big benefit of having the trench is that when the log spikes do eventually break, the zombies will only be able to beat on the concrete, not the metal bars, which is great because metal is much harder for me to get than cobblestone.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... E5C82FAE7/
I built a temporary tower so I could get an overhead view of my base. The garden is still small and a few crops aren't organized into rows yet, but I plan on expanding it as fast as I possibly can. After this picture was taken, I broke into that mausoleum via the roof and found a few shotgun shells and a can of food. I still haven't broken into the one underneath my hut.

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:10 pm

The Day 7 horde was the first time zombies actually challenged me in this particular game. I was just sitting in my scrub shack waiting for night to fall, and I noticed my food bar was getting low, so I took out some grilled meat to eat, and immediately I just heard a huge horde moan all at once. I put the food away quickly, but the zombies started pounding and when the clock hit 22:00, they let out a roar and just went apeshit. I spent half the night on my roof shooting arrows down onto the massing horde and fighting off spider zombies that climbed over the bars. They took out both rows of spikes and three of the concrete blocks on the fence, but the metal bars held and they didn't dig into the dirt at all. I repaired the damage easily, but I'm probably going to add a second layer of outer spikes and put barbed wire around the top of the fence to keep out the spider zombies.

Also, I went exploring and I finally found a city. It's massive from what I can see, and it has everything - shops, residential houses, brick apartments, another cemetery, and more. I've only looted three buildings so far and haven't scratched the surface. I found a gun safe inside one that I need to invest some time to smash open. I also found a pistol in a toilet.

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm on day 4 of my ammo run and I've collected more then 5000 units of lumber, 3000 units of stone and 1500 units of iron, not to mention a majority of other misc useful supplies like canned foods, medicine, and scant ammunition (20 shells, 40 9mm, 30 7.62mm) spread out between two loot stashes.

As soon as dawn finishes rising on day 4 I will make my way to, likewise, the only city I've discovered which is as well one of those massive urban ones, entering it from the West. I intend to spend a lot of time looting it, and whethering the day 7 horde (day 42) that's about 2-3 days away within it. I'll make my way across the city west-to-east looting and hopefully emerge on the eastern side by day 43 to loot some buried supplies whose location I discovered off a dead zombie, then I'll head home, empty my inventory, and turn back around to collect all the stashes I've made.

It's looking like so far, though, that I probably wont need to do another one of these for at least two day 7 hordes.

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:40 pm

I need to start leaving loot stashes around. I keep trying to do everything with a full inventory, which just results in me leaving early because I won't want to leave anything behind.

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:24 am

Yeah, this'll be my first use of them as a result of that exact reason. With everything so far away I cant really make any meaningful trips relying just on my inventory alone, because I have to fill it with enough supplies (a stack of water, a stack of cooked meat, two to three tools, the forged steel to repair those tools, a sleeping incase I feel like I might die soon and want to respawn nearby, some antibiotics/honey, and that's just my bare minimum) to feel confident enough to even make the journey itself, let alone return with any quantities of loot.

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:33 am

I never have food or water in my inventory, but I do carry a bandage and a split. Since I'm always within spitting distance of my base, it's all back there. Sometimes if I loot food on the go, I just eat it there since it doesn't really matter when you fill up your food bar as long as it's filled.

Return to “All things Zombie”