7 Days to Die

For the discussion of anything related to zombies which has nothing to do with Binary Space's games
Smerg

Re: 7 Days to Die

Postby Smerg » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:01 am

oh. ****. time to eat my words then, cus I still aint done with Fo4.

It aint the best game, but damnit if it aint eaten every spare piece of time I've had ; -;
"If all else fails: duck. As a method of defense it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a second or two." - Unknown

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:33 am

This game's lookin very very swell if I do say so.

Completely different beast then when I first started so long ago. Real beautiful, and I love the skills they added.

Got two playthroughs going side by side right now.
A random generated map on the game's normal setting. Zombies aren't too strong, aren't too weak. I have set to only shamble. This is basically where I find my George Romero/Walking Dead type experience when I want it. Only downside is random generation is so big and spread out I only find small houses and sheds. The closest I've come to finding a big city is in the destroyed city biome, which is nothing but the foundations of buildings and a few wall fragments here and there to mark where once a big city was. Plus this maps kind of weird, it's nothing but islands connected with land bridges formed where the roads spawned. I try to ease my broken immersion by whispering to myself that the ice caps melted and this world's been flooded in some parts.

My second play through's a bit more intense and the game settings had a bit more thought put into them. It's on the easiest difficulty, zombies go down real real quick, and deal about five to ten damage. Absolutely no threat one on one. But..
The population is at its highest setting.
Their memory is set to the longest possible setting, 90 seconds.
Their ability to detect the player is set at "feral", they have a chance of sensing me through walls and such.
And most importantly, they're set to constantly sprint.
This play through's meant for a more cinematic experience. I have it on Navezgane map, so that at the least theres a bit more structure and purpose to the map's layout. In the setting's I also upped the loot rate to 200%, just to help me get on my feet a bit quicker cus.. I don't wanna be caught naked infront of a twenty strong horde.
This play through's meant to provide a sort of "open world" left 4 dead.

My "left 4 dead" play through so far been so much more fun that I think I might just shelf my walking dead play through. Or at the least, restart it on Navezgane as well, just because so far the randomly generated maps are mostly wilderness and pretty boring.
"If all else fails: duck. As a method of defense it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a second or two." - Unknown

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:40 am

I prefer the Romero gameplay style when it comes to games like this, because I always need a lot of time for crafting and micromanaging my loot.
"You can only talk rubbish if you're aware of knowledge." ~Karl Pilkington
"**** it, it's late. Change it later." ~Me and Teddy

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:31 am

I always try and save my loot micro for the night so I'm able to waste time waiting for morning. It's either that, or just crouch in a corner serfing the web on my phone irl haha

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Anyone play this thing recently? Just got past day 35.

I was forced out of my first home at day 21 and had to flee far to the north where I rebuilt and fortified a desert cabin. Encircled it in three block tall, two thick concrete walls and learned how to make crossbows along the way.

Night 35 rolls in and holyshit thankgod for concrete. The horde continually spawned zombies from 21:00 of Day 35 to 6:00 of Day 36 and I only lost eight or ten blocks of my wall. Very nice compared to what day 28 did to me :/

One thing that having stable walls taught me to hate, though, was the climbing abilities of a horde. If I stood too long at any one section of wall they just converged and started hopping on top of each other and so I had about ten or so zombies climb over my wall in this fashion and kill me during the siege. Only died once, tho.

It also taught me to dislike the aiming of a crossbow. I suppose I was a better shot with it then with my bow, but still. Aiming down the "sites" of a crossbow gave me a lot of difficulty until I realized that if I aimed while crouching, the stealth system's eyeball provided a perfect reticle.

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:42 pm

I haven't played in a while, but I was actually going to start again tonight.
Smerg wrote:If I stood too long at any one section of wall they just converged and started hopping on top of each other
Smerg wrote:Encircled it in three block tall, two thick concrete walls
Well, there's your problem. Your wall is way too short. You realize that dead zombies turn into gore blocks, right? It'll only require two blocks to stack before they can jump over. Either dig a perimeter trench or add blocks on top.

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:42 am

I started a new game about an hour ago. Right off the bat, I discovered a really nice base location not more than two minutes from my spawn. It's a cemetery with four-block high metal fences with a concrete base and support pillars, and there's only one entrance, which I've fortified with wood and scrap metal.

I'm currently camped out on one of the two mausoleums. The roof is sloped, but I managed to build a little wooden hut up there, and I even have enough scrap metal left over to spell out "ALIVE INSID" on the roof (I'll add the last E later, along with "SOS"). The only thing I'm really concerned about is food supply, but from what I see, there's a small road leading west from the cemetery and hopefully it goes to a city I can scavenge.

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:47 am

I played for a few more hours, and I accomplished a whole lot of jack ****. The game is super difficult in the very beginning because without certain resources (specifically a cooking pot), you literally can't even feed yourself. Because I couldn't find a cooking pot, I had to drink murky water for two days, which gave me the shits, and because I didn't have a cooking pot, I couldn't brew tea to cure myself. It just got worse and progressed to the bloody shits, which started in the middle of the night, so by the time it was safe to go outside and search for a city/antibiotics/a cure, I was already half dead.

I left all of my important equipment at home and ran along the main road for half a day on a suicide mission, and the only buildings I came upon were two burnt-out cabins in the middle of nowhere. At the second cabin, I got cornered by a horde with 5 health left, so I just climbed onto the roof and shat myself to death trying to break through to loot the house. After I respawned, I spent a little time fixing up my base before heading out to get my backpack, which was filled with random loot from my suicide run.

On the way, I was able to hunt a few deer, which gave me the animal hide I needed to make a forge, along with enough meat to last for a few days. I spent at least four in-game hours battling a constant horde at the cabin where I died the first time; the meat in my backpack was just attracting them nonstop. Finally, they stopped coming, and I was able to get my **** and loot the building, which thankfully had a pair of **** cooking pots. I got home and stored my loot just before taking these screenshots of my base.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... D06504834/
This is just a shot of my cemetery base. It was overrun with weeds and dead trees when I found it, but I invested time to landscaping to make it look nice, to grind up my Athletics level, and to waste time in the early morning and late evening. I also removed a few of the gravesites to make room for crops, which currently include corn, potatoes, goldenrod, cotton, and coffee. I searched all the coffins and found a few schematics inside them, but I plan on leaving most of them alone so the graveyard keeps its cool graveyard appearance. I might plant some trees and consolidate my garden to one corner to make it look renovated and nice. The walls are holding, but my wooden door didn't; a zombie broke in and I had to deal with it beating **** for a few hours in the early morning.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... D5F6342B0/
This is the mausoleum where my hut is located. It looks scrubby, but it's undeniably one hell of a strong foundation for an early-game base, which will be especially critical when major hordes inevitably break through the metal fences. My new forge is on the ground outside.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... A37775F07/
This is the inside of the Scrub Shack.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... D10C43B62/
My character is still dressed in plant fiber clothes, but I replaced them a few times so they got a higher level. I'm level 6, killed 31 zombies, and died once. My stamina and health are still damaged because of my recent death.

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:49 pm

Did you find any tin-cans? To help ease acquiring water in the early game, you can boil water in an empty can over a fire. It's the same thing as normal purified water once its been boiled, but you just can't stack it.

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:53 pm

This is my second, and as of right now, primary base. What isn't pictured is that right after taking this screenshot, I dug a 1block trench right under the walls to make them four blocks tall. Also my third spotlight facing the other direction aint pictured either.

Thats not what the pikes normally look like as well, obviously. They're usually four rows thick but thats all that remains after Night 35.

Also if you'll notice, most of the rail segments on the balcony are missing, mainly cus they provide poor defense against puker vomit.

Right now, in-game, I'm nearing day 40 away from the base. I've currently started on a large, multi-day looting trip with the primary goal of setting up stashes of loot, supplies and resources that I can come back to in the next few weeks to empty and haul back to my main base. I'm currently fortified in a log cabin to the north west (coincidentally also the direction I'm facing in this picture) chopping trees and roasting deer, when I'm done here I'll continue to the North West where I'll dig up one of Sarah's loot chests, and probably fill it with some of my own loot to come back to later.

The secondary goal of this long-term looting trip's a tad cheaty, and that is that I'm hoping to weather the Day 42 horde, which most forums seem to think is the most dangerous, away from my primary base.

Return to “All things Zombie”