The Shifting Tide: A short by Tyrud

For the discussion of anything related to zombies which has nothing to do with Binary Space's games
coinsruledude

Re: The Shifting Tide: A short by Tyrud

Postby coinsruledude » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:21 pm

Yeah, but habit. We've written "Last Judgment" for like three years, lol.
"You can only talk rubbish if you're aware of knowledge." ~Karl Pilkington
"**** it, it's late. Change it later." ~Me and Teddy

Tanten137

Postby Tanten137 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:23 pm

True, but still.
"Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.~Albert Camus
"I would rather be ashes than dust." ~Jack London
"Hell is people." ~People

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:24 pm

I'll be referring to them as the ASF in Requiem when they come up, but Last Judgement will probably sneak its way in there once or twice out of habit.
"**** it, it's late."-Coins "Change it later."-Teddy
"She had a face like a bulldog licking **** off a nettle."-Jingles
"so he resigned himself to dying in a trash can."

Tanten137

Postby Tanten137 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Hey, I'm not saying "YOU HAVE TO GET IT PERFECT, NOW!". :)

(Woo! Broke 100 posts! :lol: )
"Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.~Albert Camus
"I would rather be ashes than dust." ~Jack London
"Hell is people." ~People

tyrud

Postby tyrud » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:59 pm

Chronicles of a New Age:
Flower in Thorns

[Friday, September 14 2012 - 4:47 PM
New Orleans, Louisiana]

It was a mostly cloudless day in New Orleans, so the sun was free to shine down on the city. Valerie was thankful she had functioning air-conditioning in her apartment after having spent her working hours outside. The Louisiana heat was notorious, and she recalled fainting once or twice in her youth because of it. How a Maine native like her father could stand it so well had always been a mystery, though she figured her mother was a good reason for him to weather it. The fact that they moved back to his old home after Valerie started college, however, made her think he had had enough of it. The television in her room was on, but the volume was low and so the room was quiet. There was a game show playing, but she paid it no mind. Instead, she sat at her desk with a large textbook opened up to a set of pages somewhere in the middle of it. Various sheets of copy paper were sprawled across the desk, mostly hand written notes in elegant cursive.

The paper Valerie was working on had a half finished sketch of a flower on it. The drawing had nothing to do with what was in the book, which was going on about bryophyta reproduction and the evolution of vascular plants. Valerie couldn't be bothered with any of it half way through reading, so she had started drawing the flower on her window sill instead. The ambient light from outside made the tiny dust particles in the air visible, and she watched as they danced around the upright flower. It was a purple Iris setosa her mother had sent her from Maine, and given that it wasn't a native plant it required quite a bit of maintenance despite its small size. She had already drawn it a few times before for school, but now she mindlessly drew it out of sheer boredom. She stopped doing that too, and instead just stared at the flower blankly. When one of the petals suddenly fell off and slowly floated onto the dirt in the pot, Valerie let out a little gasp and frowned.

"Aww..." She reached over and softly placed her fingers under the remaining petals. Someone then knocked on the door to Valerie's room, startling her. She smiled once she turned around and saw who it was, however. "Oh, hey Shawna."

"What's up, girlfriend?" Shawna responded as she walked over and the two shared a friendly cheek kiss. She was the same age as Valerie, 24, with medium brown skin, black hair and a pixie cut hair style. The two had met each other at LSU and had been good friends since then. After they both found jobs in New Orleans, they decided to rent a luxury two bedroom apartment in the center of the city together and split the rent. "Oh, Val honey, drawing plants again. Don't you ever get bored of it?"

"Funnily enough, I was in the middle of doing just that."

"I find that real hard to believe."

"It's the truth."

"Is that why you're reading that?" Shawna said, lifting an eyebrow. "Because you're oh so bored with it?"

"Actually, I've been thinking about maybe going back to school and trying for the doctorate. I’m not really sure yet."

"All those years of school, and you still aren't done, huh? Yeah, you're absolutely not bored of it."

"I guess not." Valerie said, turning around and looking back at the iris. "What about you, what have you been up to?"

"You know, hanging in there. I've been talking to Tobias, and I think I've got that man wrapped around my finger." Shawna said with a playful smirk.

"You’re so bad, Shawna. You shouldn't play him like that."

"You say bad, I say it's the way of the game, Val. If he wants to spend his hard earned cash on me, why should I refuse? Speaking of which, his boy Chet is always asking me about you. He says he really wants to meet that fine brunette friend of mine.”

"Ha! Not even in his wildest dreams would I give him the time of day."

"Ooo, girl now that's ice cold. I'd be shaking my head if we didn't both already know that you'd marry those plants of yours if you could, Poison Ivy."

“Do you think I’d make a good villain, Shawna?"

"You said it, not me."
The two laughed a little at their own banter before Valerie diverted her attention to the television. On the screen a news reporter with an outfit that Valerie found enviable was relaying a news report. The television volume was low, preventing them from actually hearing what was being said, but the headline under the reporter read "Trouble in the Port".

"Do you know anything about that, Shawna?"

"They were talking about some kind of strike or riot in the port over the radio. They had to deploy the SWAT and everything, I think. It sounded pretty crazy. It made getting here a pain too."

"Lots of traffic?"

"Ugh, you have no idea Val but it should be better now,"
Shawna said as she pulled a small hand mirror from her purse and checked the make up on her face. "Which reminds me, I've gotta go."

"How come?"

"I wanna buy a new dress before I go out with Holly tonight."

"Another one? If you keep buying clothes at this rate, you're going to have to start using some of my closet space."

"Says the girl who needs a dress for every color under the sun. I swear Val, I don't know what you like looking at more, plants or yourself."

"What can I say. I like to be seasonal, just like the flowers."
Valerie answered, which elicited a bout of laughter from both women. "When do you think you'll be back?"

"I don't know. I'll text you when I'm on my way back if you want to come. Holly found this new joint that she says gets real live on Fridays, and there's sure to be plenty of guys too."

"I'm off tomorrow, so I guess I can afford to live a little tonight."

"There's still hope for you yet, then. Alright girl, I'm out, but I’ll see you later."

The two said their goodbyes and then Shawna left, leaving Valerie alone in her room again. She closed the book on her desk, leaving all the pages neatly inside, and took a deep breath taking a moment to stretch. Outside on the street below life went on as normal as the noise of cars and pedestrians faintly seeped into her sixteenth floor apartment. After turning off the lamp at her desk, she made her way over to her closet and opened it. Looking at all her clothing, she started thinking about what she should wear and whether it should match or contrast with whatever Shawna and Holly were going to wear.

[Saturday, September 15 2012 - 9:23 AM]

Valerie was awakened by the sound of her phone vigorously vibrating on the nightstand beside her bed. Her head was pounding, however, and she couldn't help but groan as she struggled to raise her head off the pillow under it. The night before was lost somewhere in the depths of her mind beneath an awful hangover that was happy to inform her that she had consumed one too many daiquiris. As she slowly sat up, Valerie looked over at one of the full body mirrors on her closet door and in the dim light oozing through the curtains, she took a look at herself. She noticed she was still wearing the same short purple evening dress she went out with the night before. Her heels were haphazardly strewn about on the floor near her bed, her hair had seen better days and her eye shadow had served its purpose and really needed to be removed before it ran anymore. Just as she was really becoming displeased with her haggard appearance, the sudden vibrating of her phone caught her attention. She picked it up off the nightstand and started fiddling around with it. She had several unread text messages and a few missed calls from various people. Some of the text messages were from the night before and from earlier in the morning, while all of the calls had been received recently. She had a few texts from Holly, mostly pictures of them together the previous evening and a few comments on the fun they had. Another text was from someone who identified themselves as Chet, who seemed to want to meet up sometime.

"Stupid..." Valerie said, scolding herself. The remaining text messages were from Shawna and one or two of her co-workers at the city botanical gardens. Valerie read through them, in spite of her headache, as she slowly became more awake. The text messages from Shawna caused Valerie to start worrying, however. Reading through them, it was clear that something was off. Shawna had sent her numerous messages in increasingly shorter intervals asking if she was awake and if she knew what was going on among other things. The fact that it seemed Shawna was freaking out was uncharacteristic of her. Whatever had happened had been enough to actually make Shawna call Valerie, more than once too. Valerie locked her phone and placed it back on the night stand for the time being.

Closing her eyes and pressing her wrists against her temples, she took a moment to think. She couldn't help but feel like she was out of place, like the world wasn't lining up correctly. It was a strange feeling, and it did little to alleviate her general discomfort. She got out of bed and headed into her bathroom to freshen up. Within a few moments she had washed her face, tied her hair up and changed into a pair of jeans and a tank top. She headed out into the living room after grabbing her phone and stood by the windows as she called Shawna. Outside, the city seemed no different yet still chaotic somehow. The sirens of emergency vehicles abounded and a few people were stumbling about down below in a clumsy manner. It was unusual to see drunks or vagabonds walking around at this hour in the area around her building. They didn't seem like either, however. Her initial phone call failed to go through, so she tried again. This time, the line connected on the other side and she heard Shawna's panicked voice.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Shawna."

"Oh Valerie, thank God. Where are you?"

"I'm here in the apartment. I just got out of bed, actually."

"Have you seen anyone suspicious around, or has anyone tried knocking on the door?"

"Not that I'm aware of, why? What's wrong?"
Valerie asked. The loud sound of sirens and car horns was coming in through phone. There was also what seemed like the faint sound of screaming as well.

"Val, I don't really know what's going on, but I think that riot from yesterday got bigger or something. I think it might even be happening in other places in the country too. Oh God..."

"Shawna where are you right now?"

"I'm in my car, stuck in traffic. I'm trying to make it back to the apartment, Val. Just stay there until I get there. Lock the door and don't open it. Check the TV and see if you can figure out what's going on. I-, hey get away from the car!"

"Shawna?"

"Back off! I'm not playing around, I'm- hey wait. Stop! Oh God, move your car, please!"

The phone line then clicked and the call ended. Valerie tried redialing, but to no avail. She then listened to one of Shawna's messages. She was only slightly less confused and panicked in her earlier voice messages. Something bad was happening in the city and possibly throughout the country. She raced over to the apartment door and made sure it was locked before retreating to her bedroom and locking that door as well. She turned on the television and flipped to the first news channel she could find, before sitting on her bed tightly hugging her knees. She checked her phone one last time and noticed a missed call from her mother somewhere between Shawna's calls. She called, not expecting to get through. When she did, she almost started crying, but she managed to hold her resolve.

"Hi, mom."

"Yes. I'm alright."
Valerie said. After a moment of silence, she spoke up. "Mom, what the hell is going on?"
Last edited by tyrud on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." ~ T. S. Eliot
(⌐■_■)

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:07 am

Come on, Teddy, even THIS is getting posts, lol.

Valerie was weird even in college.

tyrud

Postby tyrud » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:34 am

Technically this is post her college years, as she already has her first graduate degree by the start of the apocalypse.

I'm also not sure how I should feel about you finding her weird, because my goal was to make her past persona more normal. I guess I didn't do a very good job, lmao.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." ~ T. S. Eliot
(⌐■_■)

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:37 am

It was pretty much when she said things like "how cruel of you" and "nothing but wishes and lofty dreams", because nobody **** talks like that, especially college-age girls, lol. I've never heard anyone talk like that, anyway.

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:42 am

I know people who talk like that, and I talk like that around those people lol. You always jump to say that about Tyrud's characters lines, and are always consistently told "Lol but they do".

Seemed like a normal young woman to me.
"**** it, it's late."-Coins "Change it later."-Teddy
"She had a face like a bulldog licking **** off a nettle."-Jingles
"so he resigned himself to dying in a trash can."

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:51 am

not enough "um"s or "like"s, 0/10 bad dialogue not realistic

Return to “All things Zombie”