Zombie Survival Plan

For the discussion of anything related to zombies which has nothing to do with Binary Space's games
TheTeddyguy

Re: Zombie Survival Plan

Postby TheTeddyguy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:18 am

Was my first thought when he mentioned estates lol.
"**** it, it's late."-Coins "Change it later."-Teddy
"She had a face like a bulldog licking **** off a nettle."-Jingles
"so he resigned himself to dying in a trash can."

tyrud

Postby tyrud » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:15 am

James Tacitus Watson, is that you?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." ~ T. S. Eliot
(⌐■_■)

deadwaste

Postby deadwaste » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:06 am

scorch wrote:I can't believe I haven't posted my plan yet.

Luckily, as I live in Britain, there are alot of stately homes with big gates, so the infected stay out, lots of open grounds and lovely gardens, which can be used for farming, and most of these stately homes are in the country side. And one good thing is you would be surviving in luxury at the very least! So I would just waltz around the country side trying to find stately homes, break in, collect supplies, install defences and just sit tight and live like a lord. Besides, me and my family are currently renting a luxury apartment in a stately home any ways so trying to hike to one would be very unlikely in the very least.

Failing that, there's always some old medieval castles around with moats and draw bridges around, lots of antiques as well, like old medieval swords armour and the like.

Example of a stately home if you don't know what I mean by great estates:

Britain?holy ship,but you're living in a nuclear holocaust site if some walkers actually happen.Europe has more nuclear power plants than an angry sailor's crotch(bad joke)
You should find a hazmat suit ASAP when it happens
"Removing an evil **** spirit from a negro is as hard as removing the stink from a hunk of ****."
- Uncle Rukus, The Boondocks

Smerg

Postby Smerg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:47 am

don't think hazmats very good against rads.
"If all else fails: duck. As a method of defense it's unreliable, but incredibly reassuring for a second or two." - Unknown

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:28 pm

I feel compelled to make a new plan since I'm so much more qualified to write one now, lol. We've spent several years researching the zombie apocalypse, analyzing its effects on society, and literally putting ourselves in the scenario in order to write as much as we have for the C3O universe. Anything I come up with now will be a hundred times better than anything else I ever posted in this thread.
"You can only talk rubbish if you're aware of knowledge." ~Karl Pilkington
"**** it, it's late. Change it later." ~Me and Teddy

tyrud

Postby tyrud » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:32 am

I'm sure your life circumstances have changed enough to make whatever you planned previously no longer relevant too , at least in some capacity or other. I know it's the case for mine where even though the overall plan is the same, the locations, distances and people involved have changed significantly.
(⌐■_■)

tyrud

Postby tyrud » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:35 pm

So sometimes grad students get bored and do interesting things. In the case of some guys from Cornell they applied some mathematical models used to predict the spread disease to a zombie-type disease.

TL;DR of the article is that big cities will get wrecked pretty hard, but that places in the country or in the mountains will fare better off and have a significant amount of time to actually prepare for the coming onslaught. I don't know how well we've been modelling that in C3O, but in the end we're not trying to be 100% accurate either.

Here's the full article if you guys care to read it: http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me ... lypse-plan
(⌐■_■)

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:22 am

I would say we modeled it fine. Basically everything they said was common sense.

The East and West Coasts of the US got decimated while the Plains, which have less people, had safe zones and less zombies (aside from the megahordes, which formed along geographical boundaries). Highly-populated areas around the globe like Europe and East Asia also fell quickly, while mountainous locations (Himalayas, Alps, Pyrenees, Taurus) served much better in the long run and provided salvation for plenty of people.

The only thing we did that was slightly unrealistic is how basically nothing survived in places like Canada, Australia, and South America, where the zombies would have trouble traveling and spreading due to smaller populations. However, in the interest of maintaining some continuity with the plot and extending the universe to include locations around the world, those places had to be destroyed just like everywhere else, despite the fact that they would have fared better than we gave them credit for.

TheTeddyguy

Postby TheTeddyguy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:30 am

I think the easiest way to explain places like Australia getting fucked would be civil unrest and panic once the reality and scale of the zombie outbreak became somewhat clear. The civilians end up hindering any effective government response until things were too out of hand for the government to get a proper grip on things again, with a few exceptions like Sydney and Juneau.
"**** it, it's late."-Coins "Change it later."-Teddy
"She had a face like a bulldog licking **** off a nettle."-Jingles
"so he resigned himself to dying in a trash can."

coinsruledude

Postby coinsruledude » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:55 am

I MAED A NEW PLAN GUISE

Scenario:
For the sake of argument, the development of this fictional zombie apocalypse will start off like it did in the RPs. The zombies will appear out of nowhere, catch everyone off-guard, and basically take over within a single month. I will be at home alone when it happens so I can do what I want without other people being a factor. All my friends and family will be missing.

PHASE I: DIG IN

Initial advantages:
The first part of my plan involves hiding like a **** until the first weeks of the apocalypse come and go. Since the vast majority of people in urban areas will perish in this beginning stage, the longer I stay unnoticed and hidden, the better off I will be. Terrain will play a big factor in how I long survive; the suburbs around me are relatively hilly and full of lakes, which will help keep hordes from getting excessively big and **** me up. Also, I live on the border of an urban area and a rural area, which means the population variance will hopefully keep zombie numbers down.

Initial disadvantages:
I live in southeastern Michigan, so the population will be a big problem throughout my plan. Also, many of the routes to and from important locations involve getting on main roads, so unless I want to ride into congested areas with static gridlock, I’ll have to keep looting close to home (which won’t be much of a problem honestly). Speaking of home, my house has lots of windows on the first floor, meaning it would be difficult to defend.

Barricading:
Overall, the goal is to block the stairs and live out what could be my final days in my bedroom. It’s a fairly simple plan, but it requires a lot of preparation and work on my part to make it feasible. The following outline details the steps I would take to secure myself upstairs:
1. Lock all doors and windows, close all blinds, and put my car in the garage. Concealment will be important during the first few days to avoid roving zombies and people, but at some point it will work against me as looters come out in full swing. During this step, I would also move all my house’s supplies into my bedroom (I will elaborate on the extent of these later on).
2. Push furniture down the stairs to create a debris pile. Multiple beds, dressers, and desks from the bedrooms would be perfect objects, since they’re just big enough for a single person with my physique to move, albeit with some difficulty and time involved. If I do it properly, this method would prevent roaming zombies (which would inevitably get in at some point) from getting upstairs while I’m sleeping or not at home. It wouldn’t stop a determined human in half-decent physical shape, but it’s not supposed to.
3. Barricade my bedroom door. By dismantling the bookshelves and dressers I didn’t use in the debris pile, I would have access to plenty of flat pieces of wood without having to go to Home Depot. I would simply nail the door shut from both sides using the shelves and drawers, and the tall ends of the bookcases could possibly block the entire doorframe nearly from floor to ceiling. I have tools and nails available to me in my house in order to accomplish this particular task.
4. Migrate upstairs. My bedroom has a window that leads onto the roof of my living room, so all I need to do is set up one of my family’s multiple ladders and pop off the screen in order to get in and out safely. During the night and when I’m not using it, I would pull the ladder onto the roof to keep it safe. I would also store a second ladder in my bedroom, just in case the first breaks or gets stolen.
5. Shuffle furniture around. I would put the bed in front of the door and push one of my dressers onto it, effectively sealing the door with the combined weight. I would keep the mattress, my desk, and my other dresser untouched on the other side of the room to preserve a basic standard of living.

Initial supply stash (this section is broad, so I broke it into sections to make this easier):
Food
When it comes to food, my house is always stocked with a floor-to-ceiling cabinet of canned goods, along with various nonperishables and things with long expiration dates (cereal, crackers, etc.). I have a big advantage in that I’m a light eater with a large stock of food, meaning looting won’t be necessary for at least the first few weeks – the time period during which I want to remain stationary.
Water
Similar to the food situation, my house always has several cases of water stacked up. There’s also usually cases of pop and sports drinks. Again, my water situation is secure for a fairly substantial period of time.
Security
One of the biggest issues with my plan is that looters would inevitably target my house, and I don’t have much means of stopping them. Hopefully I’ll have this problem solved in the near future, but for now I would have access to at least one pistol and a box of ammunition. As with any household, melee weapons abound in the form of knives, bats, a few nightsticks, and the like.
Health/Hygiene
There’s no hospital-level stuff available in my house, but at the very least I would have access to a first aid kit and a shoebox-sized container of bandages and ointment. I would also have access to an array of medications, ranging from painkillers to over-the-counter cough medicine. Toothpaste, acne cream, and the like are all commonplace in any household, and mine is no exception, so I would just bring it all in my room before barricading myself in. Since it’s my bedroom, I would have access to my own clothes., which is nice.
Entertainment
Obviously I would have my phone and laptop with me until the batteries ran dry (I would seriously use the last percentage of battery to check the forums, by the way), at which point I would transition to the stacks of books I have in my room.
Construction
I would relocate as many of my house’s tools as possible to my room. Everything from screwdrivers and hammers to electrical cables is available to me, and I would want access to it to keep my room operating.

Daily activities/plan operation:
I know myself rather well, so I know that I would establish a routine almost immediately to keep myself organized. Here’s how I envision the day going:
-I would probably wake up some time in the mid-morning, but I would want it to be before noon. Getting dressed and preparing for the day wouldn’t take long, so I would probably use this as my designated crying time, because apocalypse.
-Every day I would want to do a daily inspection of both the interior and the exterior of the house and everything in the general vicinity. Obviously, if there’s too many zombies around or if I know there’s potentially hostile survivors, I would avoid exposing myself. I could easily get a good idea of what’s going on from my roof.
-Next, I would dispose of garbage if needed. I would likely keep a big black trash bag in my room to collect refuse, and then I would drop the bags in front of my house and possibly even scatter the trash on the lawn or in the street. After a while, it would make my house look like a disaster area and hopefully deter people from breaking in.
-If I was looting that day, I would want to get it done by 5 PM. If I wasn’t, then the day would be spent being paranoid and trying to relax.

Looting:
This phase of my plan involves very little exposure to the world, and due to my large initial stockpile of food and water, looting is a minor part of operations. Even so, if I was confident the area was safe, I would venture out to my neighbor’s houses and take whatever I would get my hands on. This is hopefully the only time I would encounter zombies. To keep things simple and quick, I would limit myself to one backpack’s worth of supplies on each trip.

PHASE II: BUG OUT

When the time comes, I would need to get the **** out of my house and leave.

Initial advantages:
Moving around gives me the ability to adapt to changing zombie populations and prevents me from being trapped. I know t general area fairly well, so I would be able to navigate for a little while without much trouble.

Initial disadvantages:
Exposure is a huge threat, so moving brings with it the challenges of zombies and survivors. A mobile survivor is easier to detect than a stationary survivor hiding. Also, as I get farther from my house, it would become much harder to pick a route to take. Maps would be crucial.

Transportation:
I would use my car for as long as possible. The RP taught me that cars are hugely important when surviving (I’m citing Lingering Nightmare and Requiem specifically), so my SUV would be a mobile home for as long as I could give it gas. It has storage space for as much of my supplies as possible and it provides shelter, which is enough to override the noise and attention it would generate. It gets around 20-30 MPG too, so it isn’t the biggest gas guzzler out there. However, there would be a time when my car would break down, and when it did, I would take my bike from where I stored it in the trunk. I can ride at a decent pace so wouldn’t have any problems using it to move around, and using a bike eliminates all the downsides of the car in exchange for a slower speed, which I’m willing to accept.

Initial supply stash:
While using my car, the supply list would basically be the same as what I listed for my bedroom, except in reduced quantities due to less storage space. On my bike, however, I would limit myself to a single backpack and a **** pack (as gay as they are). The contents of the following list are also the same as the contents of the bug-out bag I would have stored in my bedroom during Phase I:

Clothing on my back (satisfies basic needs for spring, summer, fall, and mild parts of winter):
-Spring jacket: layering
-T-shirt: basic need
-Cargo shorts: basic need, pockets, comfortable
-Long socks: basic need
-Tennis shoes: basic need, lightweight and comfortable
-Watch: sense of normalcy, will keep me organized

**** pack:
-Small multi-tool: useful if I need to do something really quick with a small knife, screwdriver, or can opener
-Box cutter: useful for opening boxes (hurr) and as a general cutting tool
-Pair of handcuffs: useful for restraining people if necessary
-Handcuff key: useful for opening said handcuffs
-Small flashlight: useful if I need a quick light for looting a dark building or if I get lost at night
-Packs of gum: useful because I like gum and it would calm me down a little
-All remaining space would be filled with various bandages, ointment, and medications

Backpack:
-One full change of clothes: useful if my first set is damaged or lost
-Full Michigan atlas: useful when traveling and searching for potential rest stops
-Duct tape: useful for everything
-Flashlight: useful for being a better flashlight than the little one in my **** pack
-Any ammo I manage to find for my gun
-All remaining space would be filled with cans of food and bottles of water

Daily activities/plan operation:
I don’t know where I would go, but I would probably head west initially to check out what’s happening in the rest of Michigan. After that, it’s a toss-up between going north to supply shortages/wilderness and south to people/hordes.
At the end of the day, I don’t know which cardinal direction I would choose, but I would probably want to find some people as soon as possible. Although I’m basically a shut-in who doesn’t like talking to people I don’t know, in the event of the apocalypse I would be much more comfortable having other people around to help me make decisions rather than make all of them myself. It would calm me down to know other people are on the same page as me.

Return to “All things Zombie”